An old friend used to tell me, “Baking is like science. You must be precise in your measurements.” My ADHD doesn’t have the patience for measuring, which is why I usually stick to cooking main courses and side dishes. My motto is generally, “A little of this and a little of that.” The only problem with that philosophy is when you make something really, really good, it’s generally impossible to replicate the flavor exactly. It drives my husband nuts 🙂
Today, I decided it was time to make some banana nut muffins. I had a bunch of bananas that were insanely ripe (plus it makes my tummy hurt to throw food away) and some muffin tins lying around. I always have almond flour in the fridge. I found a recipe for banana bread and tweaked it to come up with some super delicious muffins.
Here is the nutrition breakdown per muffin (the recipe yields 18 of them):
Fat: 13.4 g
Carb: 12 g
Protein: 5 g
Not bad considering the profile of regular banana nut muffins:
Fat: 22 g
Carb: 58 g
Protein: 6 g
3 eggs, separate the yolks and whites in seperate bowls
5 tbsp orange blossom honey
4 tbsp olive oil
4 mashed bananas (6″ or so in length)
1 tsp vanilla extract (use the real stuff!)
1.25 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinammon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups almond flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Put yolks and honey in a large bowl and stir until nice and creamy
3. Add the olive oil, vanilla, and mashed bananas to the bowl. Mix well.
4. In a smaller bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. If you have a mixer, use it. I don’t have a mixer so I use a whisk. Beating the egg whites by hand ends up being a great shoulder exercise 🙂
7. Fold the egg whites in the banana mixture
8. Add pecans and stir well
9. Pour batter into muffin tins
10. Cook for approximately 30 min. I just check to make sure the tops are nice and golden brown. The toothpick test works wonders, too!
I put a little coconut butter on mine this morning and it was delicious!!! Let me know how yours turn out. Happy eating 🙂